Psychological Services Group
Find out more about
our psychologists; qualifications, client groups, specialisations, and strengths
would you like to join our super secret Facebook Support Group? First friend "Natasha Psg" then you'll be added to "PSG Weight-loss Surgery Support Group"
We work closely with Associate Professor Peter Nottle and his team. Visit: www.obesitysurgeon.com.au for more information about bariatric surgery.
Bariatric Patient Support and Preoperative Assessment
Bariatric Psychology is a unique and specialised area that aims to support clients who are above their most comfortable weight (overweight or obese) and who may be considering (or have previously undergone) weight-loss surgery. Our therapists can assist with weight management, motivational and behavioural (including health behaviour) problems, disordered eating (such as binge-eating disorder or over-eating), body image, body dissatisfaction, and identity issues, self-esteem and self-acceptance, support and relational stress, as well as symptoms of anxiety or depression associated with weight problems.
Psychological assessments for preoperative bariatric (weight-loss surgery) patients aim to identify any concerns and/or risk-factors relating to:
- Understanding of surgery, risks, and management requirements as well as ability to access relevant information,
- Motivational or behavioural problems,
- Negative self-talk/beliefs regarding ability to manage weight effectively, including identiy as a 'large' person
- Current and relevant previous mental health problems
- Maladaptive health behaviours
- Unhelpful food,eating, and weight associations and messages
- Social supports
- Communication and assertiveness
- Importantly, management and/or minimisation strategies are also discussed for any identified concerns so that patients might be as successful following surgery as can be.
- Preoperative Bariatric Assessments are only conducted at Hobson's Bay Specialist Centre, Williamstown